Superintendent Maryalice Russell has led McMinnville schools since 2002. During her tenure, she has expanded programs and increased opportunities for students.
Superintendent Russell is the 2013 Oregon Superintendent of the Year. See a video of Superintendent Russell talking about the District's achievements.
- Superintendent Russell is the 2013 Oregon Superintendent of the Year and was one of four finalists for National Superintendent of the Year.
- McMinnville School District earned recognition for having three model schools – Buel, Grandhaven and Memorial elementary schools. Out of 27 Oregon model schools, McMinnville was the only district with three model schools out of a total of 27 model schools statewide. Model schools are Title 1 schools with records of high achievement.
- McMinnville High School leads the state in providing students opportunities to earn college credits, including associate’s degrees, in high school.
- Career pathway opportunities are available in 17 career areas.
- The partnership with Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum offers students an Engineering and Aerospace Sciences Academy (EASA) pathway.
- The 2006 construction bond measure passed by voters funded construction of Sue Buel Elementary School and substantial additions and improvements at McMinnville High School, Patton Middle School and Memorial, Newby and Wascher elementary schools.
- Sue Buel Elementary School was the first school in the state to earn a LEED for Schools Gold certificate for sustainable design.
- Duniway Middle School Principal Cathy Carnahan was named 2010 National Middle School Principal of the Year.
- MHS Assistant Principal Sean Burke was named 2012 Oregon Assistant Principal of the Year. He was one of three finalists for National Assistant Principal of the Year.
Professional Organizations and Appointments
- Confederation of Oregon School Administrators, President
- Evergreen Aviation and Space Museum, Board of Directors
- McMinnville Area Chamber of Commerce, Board of Directors
- Oregon Quality Education Commission, Commissioner
Superintendent Russell has been a school district administrator since 1981. She served as associate superintendent in the Tigard-Tualatin School District for seven years and has been an elementary and middle school principal, 21st Century Schools director and associate superintendent.
Superintendent Russell holds a doctorate in education from Oregon State University, administrator's certificate from Lewis and Clark College and master's and bachelor's degrees from Portland State University.