Below are some frequently asked questions about the district’s meals program. If you are not able to fill out an online application, please contact your child’s school for assistance with a paper application.  If you have other questions, please contact MSD Nutrition Services at 503.565.4046.

  • What is the cost of school meals?

    Here is a link to the 2023-24 school year prices.

  • Who is eligible for no-cost meals?

    While the children in the following categories are eligible for no-cost meals, the district may not have this information. To receive meals and other possible benefits, families must complete the application process.                          

    • All children in households receiving benefits from State (SNAP), the Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) or State (TANF).
    • Foster children under the legal responsibility of a foster care agency or court. 
    • Families with a child participating in Head Start.
    • Children who meet the definition of homeless, runaway or migrant (see next question).
    • Children may receive no-cost meals if your household’s income is within the eligibility guidelines on the Oregon income chart.
  • How do I know if my children qualify as homeless, migrant or runaway?

    Do the members of your household lack a permanent address? Are you staying together in a shelter, hotel or other temporary housing arrangement? Does your family relocate on a seasonal basis? Are any children living with you who have chosen to leave their prior family or household? If you believe children in your household meet these descriptions and haven’t been told your children will get free meals, please call or email David Cano, 503.565.5327, for more information.

  • Do I need to fill out an application for each child?

    No. Complete one application for all students in your household. Incomplete applications cannot be approved, so be sure to fill in all required information. 

  • Should I fill out an application if I received a letter this school year saying my children are already approved for free meals?

    No, but please read the letter you received carefully and follow all instructions. If any children in your household were missing from your eligibility notification, contact Jamie Wright 503.565.4046 immediately.

  • Can I apply online?

    Yes! You are encouraged to complete an online application instead of a paper application if you are able. The online application has the same requirements and will ask you for the same information as the paper application. Contact Jamie Wright at 503.565.4046 if you have any questions about the online application.

  • My child’s application was approved last year. Do I need to fill out a new one?

    Yes. The income guidelines are new each year, and you must send in a new application unless the school told you that your child is eligible for the upcoming school year.  If you do not send in a new application or you have not been notified that your child is eligible for free meals, your child will be charged for meals. 

  • I participate in WIC. Can my children get free meals?

    Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for no-cost meals.  Please complete an application.

  • Will the information I give be checked?

    Yes. We may also ask you to send written proof of the household income you report.

  • If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later?

    Yes, you may apply at any time during the school year.  For example, children with a parent or guardian who becomes unemployed may become eligible if the household income drops below the income limit.

  • What if I disagree with the decision about my application?

    Call MSD Nutrition Services at 503.565.4046 for guidance.

  • May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen?

    Yes. You, your children or other household members do not have to be U.S. citizens to apply. 

  • What if my income is not always the same?

    List the amount that you normally receive. For example, if you normally make $1000 each month, but you missed some work recently and only made $900, put down that you made $1,000 per month.  If you normally get overtime, include it, but do not include it if you only work overtime sometimes.  If you have lost a job or had your hours or wages reduced, use your current income.

  • What if some household members have no income to report?

    Household members may not receive some types of income we ask you to report on the application, or may not receive income at all. Whenever this happens, please write a zero (0) in the field. However, if any income fields are left empty or blank, those will also be counted as zeroes. Please be careful when leaving income fields blank, as we will assume you meant to do so.

  • We are in the military. Do we report our income differently?

    Your basic pay and cash bonuses must be reported as income. If you get any cash value allowances for off-base housing, food or clothing, it must also be included as income. However, if your housing is part of the Military Housing Privatization Initiative, do not include your housing allowance as income. Any additional combat pay resulting from deployment is also excluded from income.

  • What if there isn’t enough space on the application for my family?

    List any additional household members on a separate piece of paper, and attach it to your application. Contact: Jamie Wright at 503.565.4046.

  • My family needs more help. Are there other programs we might apply for?

    To find out how to apply for Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) benefits or other assistance, contact your local assistance office or call 2-1-1 or 1-800-SAFENET (723-3638). For food assistance call 1-866-348-6479 (1-866-3-HUNGRY).  For possible discounts for phone and internet service, call the Oregon Public Utility Commission at  800-848-4442 or 503-373-7171. In the summertime, text “FOOD” to 304-304 or click here for free summer meal options in your area.

Copyright © 2024 McMinnville School District. All rights reserved.